Thursday, February 5, 2009

Highlights from SU Coach Marrone's Signing Day Debriefing

Doug Marrone gave a presentation at the Carrier Dome last night (before the basketball game? After? During? Who knows?) on the 14 players his staff managed to sign to LOI's on national signing day. Here's what he had to say according to Donnie Webb at the Post Standard:

"Rishard Anderson (DB; 6-0, 180): "He has done a great job here. He was rated the 40th best cornerback prospect by ESPN. He didn't play much his senior year, but we took him off what he did his junior year . . . and he was a tremendous player. We're happy to have this type of athlete coming into our university because academics are important and leadership is important."

Torrey Ball (DE; 6-4, 250): "We battled teams for him with high academic standards. When you talk about junior-college players, you're talking about someone who's at a level of maturity where he can come in and compete."

E.J. Carter (LB; 6-0, 220): "The biggest thing with him is his leadership ability. He came in on his recruiting visit and he tried to gather the class and say, 'Hey, we're going to be the foundation of this football team. We're going to be the leaders on our football team even though we're freshmen.' I was very impressed with him."

Zack Chibane (OL; 6-4, 280): "I go down to New Jersey and I do a clinic. Everyone knows my background in on the offensive line. One of the coaches at the clinic says, 'I saw you took this kid from Paramus High School. You know, I'm just going to tell you I think he's this. I think he's that.' And I said, 'I don't really care what you think.' This kid is a good football player. He's got leadership ability and he's an ex-wrestler. We all know what type of football players these ex-wrestlers are. He's someone who has a chance to compete early for us."

Alec Lemon (WR; 6-1, 175): "When you're looking for a wide receiver, what are you looking for? I'm looking for someone who caught the football. He's someone who caught the football 103 times. This is what we're looking for at the receiver position: Height . . . speed . . . someone who's shown the ability to catch the football."

Charley Loeb (QB; 6-5, 220): "Charley is someone who is 6-foot-5 and 220 pounds. He's one of the first people you want to get off the bus when the other team is looking across the field. We're very excited about him and where he can take our football program with his leadership skills and be able to compete for a starting position."

Dale Peterman (DB; 5-11, 155): "He had one of those big, major schools coming back in on him, trying to take him. But he stuck to his commitment. We're very excited about this player."

Andrew Phillips (OL; 6-5, 260): "Again, local. Just like I said before, I wish we could get 15 kids right around this area so all of a sudden I don't have to wait in airports, I don't have to take three planes, I don't have to fly all over the country. I can get them all right here in this community. This is someone who's going to help us bring our players back out to the community. Andrew will help us bridge that."

Torian Phillips (DB; 5-10. 175): "I'm from New York City. I chose to go to this great university. I wanted to make sure when I first went out that I had gotten a recruit from New York City so that all the other schools know that they're not going to come into this state anymore and take our prospects."

Justin Pugh (OL; 6-5, 275): "Justin held strong to his commitment. I believe in this player. He's someone with great ability and someone I would love, with Coach (Greg) Atkins, to develop into a guy who can compete for a position."

Brandon Sharpe (LB; 6-2, 220): "He was someone who was committed to another university who we were able to sway and convince that this is the best school for him. He's someone with a lot of range who can run. He played defensive end. We're moving him to linebacker. We're looking for great things out of Brandon."

Phillip Thomas (DB; 6-0, 178): "There was another big school trying to come in on him. He's a big hitter. What singled him out is that he can intercept the football and create turnovers. That's what we're looking to do on defense."

Shamarko Thomas (DB; 5-10, 196): "He's another defensive back who can play corner. He's big and physical. That's what we're looking for at that position - people who can hit and get us the football. As an offensive coach, I can't stand it when the other team has the football."

Andrew Tiller (OL; 6-6, 360): "If you're a big guy and you've had trouble staying in shape over the years, this is the guy you want to stand next to when he walks off the bus. You'll feel pretty good about yourself if you put on those extra pounds during the holidays."

No comments:

Post a Comment